After getting accepted to my Hong Kong study abroad program in 2009, the first thing on my mind was a new camera. I quickly realized that while four months was an ample amount of time to explore Southeast Asia, I would most likely be seeing each site once. As soon as I touched down overseas and my trigger finger started firing, the appreciation and passion for digital photography I developed transformed me forever. Being able to capture a single moment in time and cherishing that memory forever is priceless. More importantly, the way I saw the world evolved from a creative standpoint.
While Instagram definitely channels one’s inner creativity, I was against using external editing applications for the longest time. I felt like it wasn’t authentic and somewhat forced. Well, I’ve since converted. In fact, I almost always use some other app before I upload to IG – mainly squareready for white space. If you feel like you have a good eye but the photos are just not popping, check out these five applications below:
1. VSCO - VSCO Cam is the premier way to shoot, edit and share your photographs. VSCO Cam is integrated with VSCO Grid, a free photo publishing platform. Find and follow photographers from around the world, view a curated selection of the finest images online and post your images.
2. Mirrorgram (now Sparkmode) - SparkMode is a creative experiment from The Glitch Mob’s Justin Boreta, and a team of artists, musicians, and culture lovers. We believe in creating things that add beauty to the universe. It’s what inspired us with Mirrorgram, and with SparkMode, we’re taking that mission to the next stage
3. Snapseed - Anyone can enhance, transform, and share their photos with ease using incredibly advanced features from the leader in digital photography software. Built-in Google+ capabilities make it even more powerful to share your images with your friends and family.
4. Union - Whether you want to experiment with unusual image combinations or overlay semi-transparent photos to create double-exposure effects, Union invites professionals and hobbyists alike to venture into newest world of imaginative photo-editing and creative play.
5. Mextures - Mextures is the best app for applying film grain, textures, light leaks and beautiful gradients to your images in seconds. No app is faster. And with our revolutionary non-destructive workflow, you can can make changes at any time during your editing process, fine tune your edits with photo adjustments and then save and share your edit for future use.
Layer them all together and what do you get? Something Juicy J would be proud of – WE TRIPPY MANE!